This year’s Mullet Toss is preceded by two key events: the Mullet Man Triathlon and the Mullet Swing Golf Classic.
Mullet Man TriathlonSlated for the Saturday prior to the Mullet Toss, the Mullet Man Triathlon is a charity event to raise funds for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society. Participants begin with the half-mile swim portion in the Gulf of Mexico behind the Flora-Bama Lounge.
Next, they transition into the bike segment on the paved, four-lane Ala. Hwy. 182 and head west 8.5 miles before returning to the Flora-Bama, where they will transition for the 4.2-mile run at the Flora-Bama. Runners head west, turn around under Perdido Pass Bridge and finish at the Flora-Bama.
Prizes are awarded by age division and weight division.
Mullet Swing Golf ClassicTo be held the Wednesday prior to the Mullet Toss, the Mullet Swing Golf Classic is a four-person scramble.
Entry fee per person is $150 and includes green fee and cart, Flora-Bama shirt, Flora-Bama golf balls, Flora-Bama cap, Flora-Bama golf towel, complimentary food and beverage on each hole, and a chance to win great prizes.
An awards ceremony and reception will follow at the Flora-Bama Lounge.
A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Multiple Sclerosis Society.
What’s A Mullet Toss?A mullet toss consists of individuals on the beach throwing a mullet, from a 10-foot circle in Florida across the state line into Alabama. Not to mention a great excuse to throw a weekend long party, with lots of fun activities, great music and food!
This year's event will feature local celebrities tossing out a few fish at noon, each day.
Are There Any Rules?If you plan to actually toss the fish instead of people watch, there are no rules…just kidding, there are a few rules. We can’t have total anarchy, you know:
- You will be tossing one whole mullet (approximately one pound) across the Florida/Alabama state line.
- You must submit your registration form at the beach.
- There is a $15 entry fee to throw the mullet. The cover to get into the Flora-Bama is different from the fee to throw. You will receive an Interstate Mullet Toss T-shirt.
- NO gloves or sand on mullet will be allowed.
- Mullet will be selected from the water bucket. After you throw, you must retrieve your mullet and toss it back into the bucket.
- Mullet will be thrown from a 10-foot circle down a designated alley.
- There will be no stepping out of the circle during your throw and follow through or you will be disqualified.
- Throwing your mullet out of bounds is an automatic disqualification.
- You only have one chance to qualify for finals.
- Six finalists in both the men's and women's divisions will be selected each day.
Is There A Charity Angle?The Flora-Bama will make a contribution to local youth charities for each fish flung, including local school education and prevention program from the Community Drug & Alcohol Council, Inc. (CDAC), which offers programs, community support and collaboration to address drug and alcohol abuse, tobacco, mental health issues, and violence both in the home and on our streets.
Each year, with your help, the Flora-Bama raises and contributes more than $20,000 to local charities, especially youth organizations.