It’s Not A Haircut, Silly. It’s A Fish & We’re Gonna Throw It!
You want me to do what
with that mullet? Toss it! That’s right, throw it as hard as you can over the Alabama/Florida state line!
It’s a little odd to think about and even stranger to do, but it’s a legendary activity at the storied Flora-Bama Lounge, Package & Oyster Bar—the Interstate Mullet Toss
To be held the last full weekend in April 2016 at the Flora-Bama
, the mullet toss draws thousands out to the beach to watch brave fish-throwers toss a mullet (not a live one, of course) across the Alabama/Florida state line.
What’s A Mullet Toss?
A mullet toss consists of individuals on the beach throwing a mullet, from a 10-foot circle in Florida across the state line into Alabama. Not to mention a great excuse to throw a weekend long party, with lots of fun activities, great music and food!
This year's event will feature local celebrities tossing out a few fish at noon, each day.
Are There Any Rules?
If you plan to actually toss the fish instead of people watch, there are no rules…just kidding, there are a few rules. We can’t have total anarchy, you know:
- You will be tossing one whole mullet (approximately one pound) across the Florida/Alabama state line.
- You must submit your registration form at the beach.
- There is a $15 entry fee to throw the mullet. The cover to get into the Flora-Bama is different from the fee to throw. You will receive an Interstate Mullet Toss T-shirt.
- NO gloves or sand on mullet will be allowed.
- Mullet will be selected from the water bucket. After you throw, you must retrieve your mullet and toss it back into the bucket.
- Mullet will be thrown from a 10-foot circle down a designated alley.
- There will be no stepping out of the circle during your throw and follow through or you will be disqualified.
- Throwing your mullet out of bounds is an automatic disqualification.
- You only have one chance to qualify for finals.
- • Six finalists in both the men's and women's divisions will be selected each day.
Participants will compete in appropriate age- and gender-group categories.
Is There A Charity Angle?
The Flora-Bama will make a contribution to local youth charities for each fish flung, including local school education and prevention program from the Community Drug & Alcohol Council, Inc. (CDAC), which offers programs, community support and collaboration to address drug and alcohol abuse, tobacco, mental health issues, and violence both in the home and on our streets.
Each year, with your help, the Flora-Bama raises and contributes more than $20,000 to local charities, especially youth organizations.
Choose A Home Base Nearby
Looking for a fun Interstate Mullet Toss getaway spot? Check out these properties
in Orange Beach and Perdido Key.
Categories: Orange Beach | Things to Do